How to paint your house yourself
Are you thinking of painting the house yourself – and you are stressed? So know that with the right tips and ideas, painting your home can become easy, fun and completely refreshing!
Painting the house internally or externally, is something extremely creative and refreshing. With the right instructions, using your imagination, personal taste and style that suits your space, you can easily paint your home interior and / or exterior and have an impressive result that you will enjoy for a long time!
Study the whole process below, step by step, find ideas, types and color combinations as well as valuable tips to make your home new, simple and fun!
Before you start painting, you should make sure that the surface of the wall is clean and smooth, if there are small imperfections, use sandpaper to sand specific parts of the wall. If your wall is rough (as a style) you will not use sandpaper.
- If there are nail holes in the wall, then take some putty and cover the holes with a spatula.
- Apply a coat of primer to the wall, so that you then have a uniform and vibrant new color.
- Apply paper tape to the corners, skirting boards, handles, hinges and generally where you do not want to be painted and firmly press the surface you cover.
- Cover the floor and anything else you want to protect with fabric, for example old sheets or nylon cover.
How do you paint?
So now you have done the right preparation and all that remains is to dip the roller in the paint, in the sloping container, while it has got enough color and you have drained it slightly. Of course, first you have mixed the color very well!
Using wall paints you will find the right item for you, for indoor or outdoor space, for simultaneous insulation or ecological paints!
- First do a test with the paint, painting a small surface and letting it dry for 2-3 hours. Do not forget to check the color at different times of the day.
- When you are sure that the shade you have chosen satisfies you, start painting in a ripple and not a straight line from one point of the wall to another.
- For the difficult points of the wall, which are close to the corners and the skirting, you will use a brush, which will make it much easier for you with the details.
- To have a beautiful and uniform color, you must definitely pass the wall 2 coats.
- Scrape the excess paint in the corners with a spatula.
It is good to wear gloves on your hands, and a hat on your hair, so as not to get dirty, while you will wear casual clothes that you will not care if they get dirty. Also, keep the windows open as much as you can, so that you do not inhale the paint in case it smells, but also so that your wall dries faster!
Choice of colors
The choice of colors is probably the most difficult part of the process, but do not be discouraged, following the right tips, you will reach the result that will justify you.
Colors for the living room
Think about the light and the colors, but also the style of the furniture that you have in your living room. For example, if your furniture has color, let the color on the wall act as a soft background for furniture and decorations. If the style you like is the modern minimal, fade out, choose two soft earth tones, such as gray and beige. If you prefer the darker shade over your sofa, it can also work as a background that highlights a table or a decorative element.
In general, you should take into account the colors that already dominate your space from the objects and choose colors that will harmonize with each other. So based on the furniture you already have, as well as the style of decoration, you will paint your house accordingly.
Colors for the bedroom
The bedroom is the place where you rest so it is good to use soft colors that will allow you to calm down and relax. You can choose colors that reminiscent of nature, from light green, gray, beige, yellow, to white (to match everything), terracotta brown or the pale blue of the sky. The wall behind the headboard of the bed can be painted a slightly more intense color, of the same color family as the other colors that dominate the space.
General tips for colors
In the colors for painting our house, the rule applies that if you want to light a room you use bright colors, while if you want to emphasize a decorative object, paint the wall behind it darker.
A narrow corridor will look wider if it is all painted white or beige (and the ceiling), while if you have a wooden floor in your house, you can paint the walls in warm saffron tones. Monochrome is always classic and stylish, while if you use different colors it is nice to fade harmoniously into each other, from room to room.
The same goes for painting your home exterior, with light shades and monochrome making it look bigger.
- If the house is in nature and you want it to be integrated into the landscape, prefer natural (earthy) colors.
- If you choose the combination of two colors, it is better to follow the rule where you paint the walls behind the facade in a darker color.
- For example, on a terrace or balcony, the shaded wall can be painted a different color from the rest of the house. In this way you will achieve a more beautiful and harmonious result as the eye better understands the architectural arrangement of the volumes, without being confused.
- If you prefer to take into account the bioclimatic factor, then you paint the facades that the sun sees more with light colors, so the exterior walls reflect and do not absorb heat, warming the interior of the house even more.
Types of paints
According to the needs of your home, you can choose from the popular interior painting plastics, acrylics, watercolors to elastomeric paints (with insulating properties), silicone, anti-mold, thermal insulation and fireproof wall paints.
Quite popular in wall paints are plastics with main characteristics, high coverage, good spreading and fast drying, while it can also be ecological. Plastic paints are suitable for interior surfaces.
Acrylic paints are suitable for outdoor areas, as it contains acrylic resins that make it ideal for areas with humidity and extreme weather conditions (mountain, sea), as it combines waterproofing the surface and its simultaneous perspiration.
The watercolor is suitable for stairwells or even indoor ceilings, as it has the property of leaving the surface pores open, resulting in the space breathing, absorbing moisture. It combines great whiteness with high coverage, easy application and very good spreading.
You can also learn everything you need about wall painting by Gikas Painting in New Jersey!
In addition to the trends and ideas in interior design magazines, you must follow your personal taste, imagination and style that expresses you! A very good tip is to try the colors in different parts of the walls, until you feel really beautiful with a certain color. This feeling of harmony and high aesthetics, is the confirmation that you have chosen the right color!